Novidades

latest

Week #12: A late goodbye


Fellow readers,

This report is likely to be my last post on this blog. The writing experience lasted for approximately three months of my life. Just a few days back on the 26th of May, we had the first fully online MOJO event in history; the day was overall a joy. Our team participation involved three componentsSee players testing our game and giving us direct feedback about their experiencePlaytesting other teams' games and watching online streams where the developers and artists of each team talked about their developing experience, their goals, and what they would have done differently.

Our interview was set for 12:30PM, and overall, the conversation went well. We answered the questions honestly and talked about our game very naturallyThe only unfortunate part, as mentioned by other colleagues on their blog posts, was that the wrong trailers and gameplay videos were displayed on the event. The trailer presented was a 720p initial draft made by Sofia Santos, and the final trailer was way better. In this trailer, the sound was masteredThe image quality was 1080p, and there were subtitles for people who had trouble understanding spoken English and included some hero shots of our game, including levels that were not used in the event. This happened because of me. With the hurry to deliver everything by the end of the 25th of May, I accidentally submitted the trailer we had stored on GitHub. Instead, I should have provided the version I had stored locally, which could not be uploaded to GitHub because it was larger than 100MB. However, when it comes to the wrong gameplay trailer being displayed, it was the streamers' errorWe submitted a way better version at approximately 10:30AM and signaled this at least twice throughout the morning. The improved version better displayed how the game should be played and enjoyed, instead of being a rough speed-run throughout the level. Alas, we are all human. If you are curious you can check the videos below. The first is the final game-play trailer and the second is the final presentation trailer!


Overall, this course and the MOJO event made me learn a lot about game developmentAlthough it gave me lots of hard work and ultimately set me back on my thesis progress, I do not regret it for a single second. I even enlisted as a volunteer for Game Dev Técnico. Wink Wink. I also got to make new friends in other universities, and I am not regularly going out with one of them! For lack of better words, this was a 'game' changing experience! See what happens when game development joins together an engineer and an artist:

Figure 1 - Francisco and Sofia find happiness in each others' company
I wish you all the best,
See you next time.


Sem comentários

Enviar um comentário

© all rights reserved